2021 Rethinking Protein - Creating Products using Alternative Proteins
The SPDC was created over 10 years ago to provide students with a chance to create a new product and demonstrate their skills, knowledge and creativity. Each year students are asked to create a product based on a brief and submit the development of their product at various stages to the judges. The competition culminates at the annual convention, where teams must present their final product to the judges and submit it for tasting.
The purpose of the competition is to:
- Encourage student involvement in AIFST.
- Provide a platform for students to demonstrate their talents in innovative thinking and design, food product development, written and oral communications and the application of theory and teamwork.
- Provide students with an opportunity to gain greater exposure to the food industry and food industry professionals.
- Provide an opportunity to experience implementing against a real industry product development brief.
- Promote and foster innovation and entrepreneurship amongst students.
- Allow food industry representatives the opportunity to identify talented students for potential future employment.
- Allow an avenue to explore the concept of continuous improvement by the provision of feedback about team entries.
2021 Key dates:
- Initial Entry Proposals Submission Due: Monday, 19 April 2021
- Finalist Team Selections Notified: Thursday, 29 April 2021
- Proof of Concept Submission Due: Monday, 7 June 2021
- Finalist Written Proposals Submission Due: Monday, 5 July 2021
- Oral Presentation and Product Sampling: Monday, 26 July 2021
- Winners Announced: Monday, 26 July 2021
For further information or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org